Based in Bolton, Ontario, DonMor Drywall won the right to represent Canada by applying expert drywall techniques to a project under a tight construction schedule. The University's Phase 1b Athletic Centre Expansion project involved the construction of a new fitness center, two gymnasiums, exercise class, locker rooms, meeting rooms, a climbing wall and student lounge.
W.F. Mitchell Athletics Centre Expansion
W.F. Mitchell Athletics Centre
The new structure houses a three story 3,252 m² fitness centre and a 2,500 seat event centre, with a suspended running track, capable of hosting school basketball and volleyball as well as large capacity events. A climbing wall was installed within the fitness centre, plus an auxiliary gymnasium for intramural sports and recreation activities.
Exterior sheathing provided the specified durability and performance for the building, during the early construction stage while the structure was exposed to weather conditions.
The athletic facility required vast space to be constructed to accomodate the sporting venues, training rooms, and various spectator seating areas.
Donmor respected the projects short construction schedule to allow the new facility to open on time.
Interesting wall and ceiling details were achieved with quality plasterboard and a high degree of installation and finishing skill.
Main Gym with bleacher seating for 1,200
- West Gym with bleacher seating for 400
- Gryphon Aquatics Centre
- 5 International Squash Courts
- 6 Dance / Multi-Purpose Studios
- Weight Room
- Cardio Theatre
- Complex learning institution project involving many stakeholders, including government agencies and regulatory bodies to accommodate
- Project had a very tight construction schedule that Donmor had to manage
- Large, multi-function athletic venue requiring large, unique spaces to finish
- GlasRoc Sheathing panels were used on exterior & interior applications prior to the project being weather-tight in order to maintain strict construction schedule during inclement weather conditions.
- Unique multi-story climbing wall required skill to design & finish
- Project interior space completed on time and within budget
Building Owner: University of Guelph
Architect: Cannon Design Ltd. (Toronto)
Contractor: DonMor Drywall
Donmor Drywall has been in business for over 15 years and they employ 100 construction professionals. Donmor Drywall is a commercial contractor focused on industrial, commercial, and institutional (ICI) construction projects.
CertainTeed Products in the W.F Mitchell Athletics Centre