CertainTeed Type X fire resistant drywall is an interior gypsum board consisting of a solid set, fire resistive, Type X gypsum core enclosed in ivory-colored face paper and a strong liner back paper. CertainTeed Type X board features a specially formulated core providing fire resistance ratings when used in tested assemblies. Long edges are slightly tapered, allowing joints to be reinforced and concealed with joint tape and joint compound. CertainTeed Type X fire resistant drywall is available in a variety of lengths and widths.
Get Inspired and Learn More
- Thickness: 5/8" (15.9 mm)
- Widths: 4' (1220 mm) standard / 54" (1370 mm)
- Lengths: 8' to 12' / (2440 mm to 3660 mm)
- Edges: Tapered
- Packaging: Two pieces per bundle, face-to-face and end-taped
Special widths, lengths or edges may be available on special order. Consult your CertainTeed sales representative.
Surface Burning Characteristics:
- CertainTeed Type X Gypsum Board has a Flame Spread rating of 15 and Smoke Developed rating of 0, in accordance with ASTM E 84, (UL 723, UBC 8-1, NFPA 255, CAN/ULC-S102).
- "UL Classified for Fire Resistance (ANSI/UL 263; ASTM E119) and listed under UL File No. CKNX.R3660"
- Applicable Standards: meets ASTM C1396.
Consult the GA-600 Fire Resistance Design Manual or UL Fire Resistance Directory, Volume 1 for specific information regarding the construction of fire resistance rated assemblies.
For complete Technical Data, please see the Product Data and Submittal Sheet.
See important Fire Safety Information.
CertainTeed Type X Fire Resistant Drywall accepts most types of paints, textures and wall covering materials. The surface shall be primed and sealed with a full-bodied latex primer before applying a final decorative material. This will equalize the suction between the joint compounds and the paper surface. For best painting results, all surfaces, including joint compound, should be clean, dust-free and not glossy. If glossy paints are used, a thin skim coat of compound over the entire surface, Level 5 finish, is recommended to reduce highlighting or joint photographing. This method is also recommended for areas of critical sidelighting of natural or artificial light sources. A sealer application under wallpaper or other wall coverings is also recommended so the board surface will not be damaged if the covering is subsequently removed during redecorating. Joint treatment must be thoroughly dry before proceeding with primer-sealer application and final decoration. Applicable Standards and References ASTM C840 GA0216 GA-214 Consult the GA-600 Fire Resistance Design Manual or UL Fire Resistance Directory, Volume 1 for specific information regarding the construction of fire resistance rated assemblies.
For complete installation instructions, please see Install Like the Pros, Gypsum Board Installation Guide.
Please see the attached document for complete warranty details.
Committed to sustainability and total transparency, CertainTeed Gypsum is the first gypsum manufacturer to issue:
- EPDs: Comprehensive 3rd party life cycle assessments certified by UL Environment
- Type X and Easi-lite
- HPDs: Open standard, in which manufacturers report what makes up our products
- All of board products have HPDs
Our 14 gypsum board manufacturing facilities, located throughout North America, operate with a responsible and environmentally conscious ethic that includes
- Preservation of natural resources
- Face & back paper consists of 100% recycled paper
- In-plant scrap is recycled back into the manufacturing process
- Waste management
- Where sources are available, synthetic or by-product gypsum from the desulphurization of flue gases at coal-fired power plants is used.
- 3 of our manufacturing plants (Carrollton, Kentucky; Moundsville, West Virginia and Toronto, Ontario) use 100% synthetic gypsum and the total recycled content for these synthetic gypsum plants is 96%.
Although LEED rating systems do not currently address emissions for all building materials and their effects on indoor air quality, finished CertainTeed gypsum board products have no reportable VOCs and will not affect indoor air quality.