Finishing compound is formulated for the second and third coats over wallboard joints, corner trims and fastener heads. It provides smooth sanding and workability with minimal shrinkage. Finishing should not be used for embedding tape or as the first coat over drywall trims. Finishing compound may also be used for hand texturing work.
Lite Finishing Compound 17 L Box – 311789
For a detailed product description please see the Product Data and Submittal Sheet
- Material: Vinyl-type mixture
- Color: Off white Packaging: 17 L (4.5 US Gal.) Box
- Coverage: 35 L (9.3 US Gal.) to 45 L (11.9 US Gal.) of joint compound per 93 m2 (1000 ft2) of wallboard depending upon the thickness of joint compound applied.
- Shelf Life: Please see the "Technical Guide - Finishing Product Shelf Life" for details
For complete Technical Data, please see Product Data and Submittal Sheet
- Apply a thin layer of compound to the tapered edge. Press joint tape firmly into the compound, while centering it over the seam and embed with a broad knife. Sufficient joint compound must remain under the tape to ensure a proper bond. Allow to dry. Apply a second coat of joint compound over the embedding coat and feather out beyond the first coat. Allow the second coat to dry thoroughly prior to application of the finish coat. Spread the finish coat evenly over the second coat and feather to a smooth uniform finish. After each coat had dried, sand or sponge smooth prior to the application of the ensuing coat.
Finishing Beads & Trim:
- Apply first coat of compound to all the bead and trim and properly feather out onto the panel. Wet sand, as necessary. Allow the compound to dry thoroughly prior to the application of the second coat. Apply the second coat and feather at least 2" beyond first coat, allow to dry completely and wet sand, if necessary. Apply the finish coat and extend the compound slightly beyond the second coat. When dry, sand as necessary to provide a smooth surface for decoration.
- Sand with a wet sponge, if necessary, to eliminate dust and scuffing of the wallboard paper. Remove high spots using as few strokes as necessary. Clean the sponge frequently during use. If dry sanding is necessary, use 150 grit sand paper or finer. Lightly sand imperfections while being careful to avoid scuffing the paper. When dry sanding, wear a NIOSH approved dust mask and eye protection.
- Ensure that all surfaces to be decorated are thoroughly dry and dust free. Either a good quality drywall primer or an undiluted latex wall paint with a high solids content should be applied prior to painting, texturing or wallpapering. Adhere to all manufacturers' specific directions for painting and decorating materials.
For complete installation instructions, please see Product Data and Submittal Sheet, Installation Guide or Install Like the Pros
Since methods and conditions of application and storage, such as temperature, humidity, and over thinning are beyond our control, CertainTeed Gypsum, Inc. (CertainTeed) will not be responsible for the failure of this product when not used and stored according to directions and specifications and accepted standards of procedure inherent in drywall application; or when reasonable allowance is not made by the user for adverse weather and job conditions.
However, if this product proves to be defective, CertainTeed’s maximum liability shall be limited to replacement of the defective material only or refund of the original purchase price. CertainTeed will not be responsible for any other costs or expenses. These shall be the exclusive warranty and remedies provided by CertainTeed, including without limitation, the implied warranties or merchantability, fitness for use and fitness for a particular purpose. All claims shall be submitted in writing to CertainTeed within thirty days from the date of discovery. State or federal laws may provide rights in addition to this limited warranty that cannot be modified or excluded.
CertainTeed Gypsum is committed to sustainability. Our manufacturing facilities, located throughout North America, provide regional material coverage and operate with a responsible and environmentally conscious ethic that includes reclamation, preservation of natural resources, recycling and waste management. We are continually looking for ways to reduce our impact on the environment while meeting customer demand for sustainable products that deliver comfort, protection and performance.
For more information, please see our Sustainability Brochure.