Diamondback® Tile Backer: the superior tile substrate for walls, ceilings, and countertops. Diamondback® Tile Backer is used behind tiles in wet areas such as bathrooms, laundries, utility rooms and kitchens. Quarter-inch (6.4mm) Diamondback Tile Backer is suitable for use as an underlayment for countertops and residential and light commercial flooring applications. Diamondback Tile Backer Type X provides the same moisture resistance as Diamondback Tile Backer, plus it has a specially formulated core for use in fire resistance rated designs. These products consist of a high performance, water-resistant gypsum board produced with CertainTeed's patented, proprietary Embedded Glass Reinforced Gypsum (EGRG®) Technology.
CertainTeed Gypsum Diamondback Product Spotlight
Get Inspired and Learn More
Diamondback® Tile Backer and Diamondback Tile Backer Type X Boards are used in wet areas, non-wet areas, high-humidity areas and are typically used for adhering ceramic tiles to walls and floors in bathrooms, in shower and tub enclosure walls, kitchens, laundry and utility rooms. They may be used for walls and ceilings, countertops, floors and as a wall backing for laminate-faced panels or fiberglass tub and shower units to provide impact, fire and sound resistance.
- Thicknesses: 1/4" (6.4 mm), 1/2" (12.7 mm), 5/8" (15.9 mm) Type X
- Widths: 32" (815 mm), 3' (915 mm), 4' (1220 mm) standard
- Lengths: 4' (1220 mm), 5' (1525 mm) and 8' (2440 mm)
- Edges: Square
For detailed Technical Data, please see the Product Data and Submittal Sheet.
Applicable Standards and References
- ASTM C 630, ASTM 1396, ASTM C 1178
- Gypsum Association GA-216
- Gypsum Association GA-214
- Tile Council of North America’s TCA Handbook for Ceramic Tile Installation
- ANSI’s American National Standard Specifications for the Installation of Ceramic Tile
Installation of Diamonback® boards should be consistent with methods described in the standards and references noted.
Please see the Diamondback Brochure for complete installation instructions.
Please see the attached document for complete warranty details.
Committed to sustainability and total transparency, CertainTeed Gypsum is the first gypsum manufacturer to issue:
- EPDs: Comprehensive 3rd party life cycle assessments certified by UL Environment
- Type X and Easi-lite
- HPDs: Open standard, in which manufacturers report what makes up our products
- All of board products have HPDs
Our 14 gypsum board manufacturing facilities, located throughout North America, operate with a responsible and environmentally conscious ethic that includes
- Preservation of natural resources
- Face & back paper consists of 100% recycled paper
- In-plant scrap is recycled back into the manufacturing process
- Waste management
- Where sources are available, synthetic or by-product gypsum from the desulphurization of flue gases at coal-fired power plants is used.
- 3 of our manufacturing plants (Carrollton, Kentucky; Moundsville, West Virginia and Toronto, Ontario) use 100% synthetic gypsum and the total recycled content for these synthetic gypsum plants is 96%.
Although LEED rating systems do not currently address emissions for all building materials and their effects on indoor air quality, finished CertainTeed gypsum board products have no reportable VOCs and will not affect indoor air quality.