AirRenew® Essential Drywall Offers Enhanced Indoor Air Quality in Residential Construction and Remodeling Projects. AirRenew Essential is part of the AirRenew Indoor air quality (IAQ) drywall family featuring industry-first formaldehyde-scavenging technology. AirRenew Essential offers a cost-effective solution for healthier interior environments in residential construction and remodeling projects. AirRenew Essential comes in a 1/2" drywall, and AirRenew Essential Type X, 5/8" fire-resistant drywall. Through patent-pending technology, AirRenew Essential proactively captures formaldehyde and converts it into a safe, inert compound.
CertainTeed Gypsum AirRenew Product Spotlight
Get Inspired and Learn More
AirRenew Essential Drywall is used for interior walls in residential, commercial or institutional applications. It can be used for new construction or renovations over wood or steel framing.
- Thickness: 1/2" (12.7 mm)
- Widths: 4' (1220 mm), 54" (1370 mm)
- Lengths: 8' (2440mm), 12' Standard (3660 mm)
- Weight: 1.4 - 1.6 psf (6.8 - 7.8 kg/m2)
- Edges: Tapered
- Packaging: Two pieces per bundle, face-to-face and end-taped
- Product Standards: ASTM C1396 CAN/CSA-A82.27
CertainTeed AirRenew Essential Gypsum Board accepts water based acrylic (latex) paints, vapor barrier paints, primers, textures and breathable wallpapers. The surface shall be primed and sealed with a fullbodied latex primer before applying a final decorative material. This will equalize the suction between the joint compounds and the paper surface.
Note: The absorption rate of formaldehyde may be reduced by the application of primers and paints.
For best painting results, all surfaces, including joint compound, should be clean, dust-free and not glossy. If glossy paints are used, a thin skim coat of compound over the entire surface, Level 5 finish, is recommended to reduce highlighting or joint photographing. This method is also recommended for areas of critical side lighting of natural or artificial light sources. A water based primer/sealer application under breathable wallpaper or other wall covering is also recommended so the board surface will not be damaged, if the covering is subsequently removed during redecorating. Joint treatment must be thoroughly dry before proceeding with primer-sealer application and final decoration.
For complete installation instructions, please see Install Like the Pros, Gypsum Board Installation Guide.
Please see the attached document for complete warranty details.
Committed to sustainability and total transparency, CertainTeed Gypsum is the first gypsum manufacturer to issue:
- EPDs: Comprehensive 3rd party life cycle assessments certified by UL Environment
- Type X and Easi-lite
- HPDs: Open standard, in which manufacturers report what makes up our products
- All of board products have HPDs
Our 14 gypsum board manufacturing facilities, located throughout North America, operate with a responsible and environmentally conscious ethic that includes
- Preservation of natural resources
- Face & back paper consists of 100% recycled paper
- In-plant scrap is recycled back into the manufacturing process
- Waste management
- Where sources are available, synthetic or by-product gypsum from the desulphurization of flue gases at coal-fired power plants is used.
- 3 of our manufacturing plants (Carrollton, Kentucky; Moundsville, West Virginia and Toronto, Ontario) use 100% synthetic gypsum and the total recycled content for these synthetic gypsum plants is 96%.
Although LEED rating systems do not currently address emissions for all building materials and their effects on indoor air quality, finished CertainTeed gypsum board products have no reportable VOCs and will not affect indoor air quality.