Interior abuse resistant drywall is specially designed to provide abuse resistance in wall applications. For interior wall or ceiling applications where improved impact and/or indentation resistance is required. CertainTeed Abuse Resistant products are composed of a dense gypsum core, reinforced by glass fiber, bound in 100% recycled paper. This combination affords greater resistance to abuse and sound transmission in high traffic areas than does regular gypsum board. Joint finishing is accomplished by using normal drywall finishing techniques according to GA-214 Levels of Gypsum Board Finish. Once primed, walls may be painted, wallpapered or textured for the desired look.
For a detailed product description, please see the Product Data and Submittal Sheet.
Engineered for use in areas requiring abuse resistance, such as corridors, schools, hospitals, and public buildings.
- Thickness: 1/2" (12.7mm)
- Width: 4' (1220mm)
- Lengths: 8' (2438mm) to 12' (3658mm)
- Edges: Tapered, paper bound – factory finished
- End: Square – factory cut
- Core: Dense gypsum core (non-combustible) with high strength glass fiber reinforcement.
- Approximate Weight: 1/2" (12.7mm) – 2.1 lb/ft2 (10 kg/m2)
- Applicable Standards: ASTM C1396 ASTM C1629
For complete Technical Data, please see the Product Data and Submittal Sheet.
CertainTeed Regular Gypsum Board accepts most types of paints, textures and wall covering materials. The surface shall be primed and sealed with a full-bodied latex primer before applying a final decorative material. This will equalize the suction between the joint compounds and the paper surface. For best painting results, all surfaces, including joint compound, should be clean, dust-free and not glossy. If glossy paints are used, a thin skim coat of compound over the entire surface, Level 5 finish, is recommended to reduce highlighting or joint photographing. This method is also recommended for areas of critical sidelighting of natural or artificial light sources. A sealer application under wallpaper or other wall coverings is also recommended so the board surface will not be damaged if the covering is subsequently removed during redecorating. Joint treatment must be thoroughly dry before proceeding with primer-sealer application and final decoration.
For complete installation instructions, please see Install Like the Pros, Gypsum Board Installation Guide.
Please see the attached document for complete warranty details.
Committed to sustainability and total transparency, CertainTeed Gypsum is the first gypsum manufacturer to issue:
- EPDs: Comprehensive 3rd party life cycle assessments certified by UL Environment
- Type X and Easi-lite
- HPDs: Open standard, in which manufacturers report what makes up our products
- All of board products have HPDs
Our 14 gypsum board manufacturing facilities, located throughout North America, operate with a responsible and environmentally conscious ethic that includes
- Preservation of natural resources
- Face & back paper consists of 100% recycled paper
- In-plant scrap is recycled back into the manufacturing process
- Waste management
- Where sources are available, synthetic or by-product gypsum from the desulphurization of flue gases at coal-fired power plants is used.
- 3 of our manufacturing plants (Carrollton, Kentucky; Moundsville, West Virginia and Toronto, Ontario) use 100% synthetic gypsum and the total recycled content for these synthetic gypsum plants is 96%.
Although LEED rating systems do not currently address emissions for all building materials and their effects on indoor air quality, finished CertainTeed gypsum board products have no reportable VOCs and will not affect indoor air quality.