CertainTeed Vapor Prime is a vapor retarder coating designed for use on interior wallboard surfaces. Vapor Prime is a non-breathing latex primer sealer applied in a production spray application which seals the wall with a perm rating of less than 1.0 in one coat. Vapor Prime is a low VOC product formulated to replace conventional vapor barrier methods such as plastics and paperfaced insulation.
- Color: White Finish: Flat
- Packaging: 5 US Gal. (18.9 L) pail Coverage:
- Coverage is 200 square feet per gallon when applied at 8 wet mils. Coverage rates will vary with mil thickness, applicator technique and type of spray tip (amount of fallout).
- Recommended Mil Rate: Apply a minimum of 8 wet mils to achieve a less than 1 perm rating. Dry time is 2 – 4 hours dependent on temperature and humidity.
- Shelf Life: Please see the "Technical Guide - Finishing Product Shelf Life" for details
- Storage: Store materials in a dry area. Protect materials from direct sunlight. Do not stack more than two pallets high. Store materials at a temperature between 40°F – 90°F (4°C – 33°C). Do not freeze, product will not recover.
- Apply with 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2" roller. The smaller the nap the less the stipple. Roll out to desired stipple which is approximately 6 mils wet. Allow to dry. Light sanding with 150 – 220 grit is optional.
- Apply Vapor Prime with an airless sprayer that sprays at least 1/2 gallon per minute, pump pressure rated at 2700 – 3000 psi and spray tip orifice between 0.023 and 0.031. Light sanding is option with 150 – 220 grit to smooth fall out or imperfections. Respirator and eye wear not required but recommended. Clean tools, equipment with soapy water and rinse.
Since methods and condition of application such as temperature, humidity and over thinning are beyond our control, CertainTeed Gypsum, Inc. (CertainTeed) will not be responsible for the failure of this product when not used according to directions and specifications and accepted standards of procedure inherent in drywall application; or when reasonable allowance is not made by the user for adverse weather and job conditions. However, if this product proves to be defective, maximum liability shall be limited to replacement of the material only or refund of the purchase price. This shall be the full limit whatsoever of CertainTeed's liability. All claims shall be submitted in writing to CertainTeed within thirty days from the date of discovery. State/Provincial or Federal laws may provide rights in addition to this warranty that cannot be modified or excluded.
CertainTeed takes pride in providing the best solutions to make the spaces where we work, live, and play healthier and safer. This means offering high-performing products that create better living environments.
Our products improve building energy efficiency and reduce building energy consumption for the life of the structure. As a result, they help conserve nonrenewable energy sources, decrease dependence on hydrocarbons and lower greenhouse gas emissions.
CertainTeed’s ongoing commitment to sustainability in our manufacturing operations incorporates the principles of industrial ecology, managing energy and water, and reducing waste.
Our ecomedes Sustainable Product Platform allows you to quickly access the product information and certifications you need, calculate contributions to LEED and other green building rating systems and create and save a group of products using the project feature. The information is free to access and always up to date.