New CertainTeed Corporate Sustainability Report Highlights Environmental Performance
(Valley Forge, Pa.) – As part of a company-wide commitment to environmental stewardship, CertainTeed Corporation
has published its second Corporate Sustainability Report. The 32-page report, available for download at www.CertainTeed.com/BuildingResponsibly/Literature
, outlines the company’s environmental performance and future goals for energy conservation, water and waste reductions, and carbon emissions.
“Demonstrating the collective effort of more than 6,000 dedicated employees, the CertainTeed Corporate Sustainability Report commemorates key milestones and affirms our commitment to sustainability,” said Aman Desouza, director of innovation and product sustainability. “From recycling to energy-saving efforts to waste and resource management, sustainability is deeply engrained in our culture at CertainTeed. We look forward to continuing our journey in working towards our long-term goal of a regenerative built environment.”
Key highlights from the report include CertainTeed’s initiatives in:
- Implementing a Sustainable Product Development program to ensure that product life cycle impacts are considered at all stages of the development process.
- Significantly enhancing environmental transparency through industry-first, third-party verified life cycle assessments for CertainTeed siding and ceilings product lines.
- Investing in solar roofing solutions and training programs to help advance the use of renewable energy in the built environment.
- Expanding the portfolio of volatile organic compound (VOC) compliant and scavenging products used in interior ceilings and walls, which ultimately contribute to comfortable, healthy indoor environments.
- Forging meaningful partnerships to recycle products at the end of their useful life, which includes reclaiming used ceilings or siding materials to manufacture new products as well as the transformation of old roofing shingles into paving materials.
- Fostering an environmentally responsible and safe work environment — with 29 plants achieving 1 million hours worked without a lost-time incident.
- Advancing the sustainability of the building industry through continuing educational programs and technical support from CertainTeed’s world-class building science team.
“I applaud CertainTeed’s leadership in the area of sustainability. This document is one example of Saint-Gobain’s continued effort in being the reference for sustainable habitat. We also recognize the need to continue to raise the bar and challenge our businesses,” said Dennis Wilson, director of product stewardship and sustainability for Saint-Gobain North America. “Through creative problem solving, collaborative action, transparency and tenacity, we’ll continue to strengthen and enhance our efforts in this arena.”
To learn more about CertainTeed’s commitment to sustainability, visit www.certainteed.com/buildingresponsibly
Through the responsible development of innovative and sustainable building products, CertainTeed, headquartered in Valley Forge, Pa., has helped shape the building products industry for more than 100 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Manufacturing Company, the firm's slogan "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," quickly inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed® is North America’s leading brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, fence, decking, railing, trim, foundations, pipe, insulation, gypsum, ceilings and access covers.
A subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, the world’s largest building products company, CertainTeed and its affiliates have more than 5,700 employees and more than 60 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. Recognized as a 2009 and 2010 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, CertainTeed earned the 2011 and 2012 ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence Award, the highest level of recognition for outstanding contributions to protecting the environment through energy efficiency. The group had total sales of approximately $3.3 billion in 2012. www.certainteed.com