CertainTeed Learning Center: Insulation « return to the Learning Center

view larger image

Helpful Resources

Existing Home Energy Efficiency Tax Credit Available

Existing Home Energy Efficiency Tax Credit Available
American Tax Payer Relief Act of 2012 - 25C Tax Credits extended for 2012 & 2013

The American Tax Payer Relief Act of 2012 (Title IV "Energy Tax Extenders") extends the IRS Section 25c tax credit for energy efficient retrofits to existing homes

Owners of existing homes can receive tax credits of up to 10% of the cost of components when upgrading the efficiency of their building's envelope. Components eligible for the credit include insulation materials and systems (including vapor retarders) designed to reduce heat loss or gain in a home. The total amount of credits for building envelope measures and other qualified energy-efficiency improvements has been returned to the original maximum of $500. To qualify, a component must meet or exceed the criteria established by the 2003 International Energy Conservation Code (including 2004 supplements) and must be installed in the taxpayer’s primary residence in the United States between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2013.

To help you determine how much insulation you will need or need to add,  visit our insulation calculator which provides the current minimum International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) levels.

Note that the credit applies only to the cost of the product and does not apply to the labor/installation of materials or systems - be sure to keep all your receipts and/or ask your contractor to itemize the product costs for you.

CertainTeed is required to provide a certification that their products meet the requirements of this provision. Download the form here, complete and keep it with your tax records. When completing your taxes, use IRS Tax Form 5695. This form is available at www.irs.gov.

There are many additional financial incentives for making your home more energy-efficient including rebates, grants and loans. Check out the DSIRE web site for more information on programs available in your state.

For more information, visit the CertainTeed Energy Tax Credit page.

(links to "The Today Show" website)
Search CertainTeed.com
| Entire Site |