5th US Trophy Contestant
“The Westlake” is a 13,000 SF High Performance custom home which includes an indoor pool. The home was designed for a couple nearing retirement that wanted a large home to accommodate their children, future grandchildren, parents and guests. The environmentally conscious owners prioritized a healthy, low energy use, sustainable home that would accommodate them as they aged so that they would never need to move in the event of aging related issues.
We had to complete the large project with minimal long-term environmental impact, low operating costs, low maintenance, high building durability and implementation of Aging-In-Place design. All of these goals were achieved via following the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) rigorous Zero Energy Ready Home (ZERH) design, third-party verification and certification protocol.
Knowing the client was happy and comfortable in their home was a key achievement. These clients tend to be more demanding, as they are wealthier clients. The contractor wanted to build a 13,000 square foot home that uses less energy, which is below minimum build requirements for energy consumption, which was achieved through careful selection of building products.
- The Westlake was recognized with multiple National, State, Regional and Local Awards,
- 1stPlace: “Best Custom Home over One Million Dollars, Cleveland Home Builders Association (HBA)
- 1stPlace: “Best Green Built Home over 4,000SF”, Cleveland Home Builders Association(HBA)
- 1stPlace: “Most Energy Efficient Home over 2,500SF”, Ohio Home Builders Association(OHBA)
- 1stPlace: “Lowest HERS Score”: Columbia Gas/Efficiency Crafted Homes Program
- 1stPlace/Gold: “Best of Age 55+ Housing Awards –Detached Home Over 3,000 SF” National Association of Home Builders (NAHB)
- Honorable Mention: “Custom Home for Buyer” U.S .Department of Energy(DOE) Zero Energy ReadyHome(ZERH) Program
Saint-Gobain Products & Systems: