HOW TO MEET TITLE 24/QII BATH ENCLOSURE REQUIREMENTS WITH CERTAINTEED
Title 24/QII requirements state that (C11) insulation must be installed behind tub, shower, or fireplace enclosures, and exterior stairwells to the R-value listed on the CF1R when located against exterior walls. Insulation is installed before tub, shower, and fireplace are installed; and (C12) a solid air barrier is installed, from floor to ceiling, on the inside of exterior walls directly adjacent to tub, shower, or fireplace enclosures. Insulation shall contact all six sides of the air barrier on exterior walls.
When tubs, showers, fireplace enclosures, or stairwells are installed on exterior walls, QII inspection by the HERS Rater includes visual verification that these locations are properly air sealed and insulated before they become inaccessible. The insulation behind the tub or shower must be equivalent to the insulation in adjacent exterior walls and covered with an air barrier that is sealed at all edges and seams to provide a continuous air barrier. Any type of insulation may be installed as long as it completely fills the void and is in full contact on all six sides of the air barrier.
To ensure better energy efficiency, moisture management and durability, CertainTeed offers a solution utilizing SMARTBATT Fiber glass batts with MoistureSense™ Technology and taped seams. This meets all of the above QII requirements by providing 6 sided contact, air sealing, and thermal performance. This solution also provides exceptional moisture management to help prevent moisture build-up and mold.
Why Choose SmartBatt & Tape for Bath Enclosures?
- Meets Thermal, Air Tightness & 6 Sided Contact QII Requirements
- Exceptional Moisture Management (see video below)
- Unlike Vapor Permeable housewraps, SmartBatt’s Innovative Smart Vapor Retarder Technology helps reduce the risk of moisture build up and mold growth. Passes Moisture Management requirements for every zone in California.
- Installed by Insulation Contractors or Framers
- SmartBatt Stays Put
- Unfaced insulation and housewrap can have a tendency to settle and/or fall out of the cavity.
Exceptional Moisture Management
Unlike Vapor Permeable housewraps, SmartBatt’s Innovative Smart Vapor Retarder Technology helps reduce the risk of moisture build up and mold growth. Passes Moisture Management requirements for every zone in California.