Life Cycle Assessment (LCA)
|LCA is an analytical tool used to quantify and interpret the flows to-and-from the environment (e.g. emissions, consumption of energy, etc.) over the entire life cycle of a product, process or service. By including the impacts throughout the product life cycle, a LCA provides a comprehensive view of the environmental aspects of the product and an accurate picture of the environmental costs/benefits of product selection.
CertainTeed is letting the facts speak for themselves …
CertainTeed is a leading North American manufacturer of building materials, including, polymer shakes, vinyl siding, and trim products. Our line of superior and innovative building products and systems means "Freedom of Choice" for our customers.
- CertainTeed is the first siding manufacturer to provide its customers complete environmental transparency.
- We were the first to submit our life cycle assessment to BEES for third party verification and publication. Life Cycle Assessments not only assure our customers that they are purchasing a sustainable product, but also sets a baseline for our continuous improvement.
- CertainTeed uses recycled content in its products whenever possible.
- We coordinate the operations of over 200 vinyl recycling centers nationwide to reclaim vinyl siding that has reached its end-of-life.
- The life cycle assessment of CertainTeed siding products can contribute to earning points for green building certification in both the USGBC and NAHB green building programs.
- In the NAHB National Green Building Standard, points can be earned for using LCA data to select more environmentally preferable products. LEED Pilot Credit 43 provides an innovation credit for selecting products with published and third-party verified LCA’s.
- CertainTeed products are low maintenance and help reduce the cost of ownership over the life of the home.
Sustainability Begins At Home
CertainTeed is actively pursuing strategies to reduce our environmental impact, while increasing the sustainability of our operations and products.
Rigorous Life Cycle Assessment — By carefully examining all environmental impacts throughout each phase of a product’s life cycle—from raw materials and manufacturing, to transportation and use, to disposal and/or recycling—we gain a complete, accurate view of our product’s true sustainability.
Fresh perspective — Life Cycle Assessment findings provide a new, if not surprising, vantage point from which to make more credible and confident decisions on environmentally sound cladding options.
National Institute of Standards and Technology