Extreme Abuse Resistant Gypsum Board with M2Tech® is for use in interior wall and ceiling applications that require improved durability and enhanced moisture and mold resistance. Extreme Abuse contains a specially formulated, dense, fire resistive, noncombustible, moisture resistant core reinforced by glass fiber and enclosed in a 100% recycled moisture and mold resistant face and back paper.
Extreme Abuse provides greater resistance to abuse and sound transmission in high traffic areas than standard drywall. Also made with proprietary M2Tech technology, Extreme Abuse adds the protection of enhanced moisture and mold resistance.
Extreme Abuse Drywall is engineered for use in areas requiring abuse resistance, such as corridors, schools, hospitals, and public buildings.
- Thicknesses: 5/8" (15.9 mm) Type X
- Widths: 4' (1220 mm)
- Lengths: 8', 10', 12' Standard (2440, 3050, 3660 mm)
- Weight: 2.8 lbs per SF (13.7 kg/m2)
- Edges: Tapered
- Packaging: Two pieces per bundle, face-to-face
Abuse Resistance Classification Levels
- Surface Abrasion (D4977) - 3
- Indentation Resistance (D5420) - 1
- Soft Body Impact (E695) - 2
- Hard Body Impact (C1629, A.1) - 1
For complete Technical Data, please see the Product Data and Submittal Sheet.
CertainTeed Regular Gypsum Board accepts most types of paints, textures and wall covering materials. The surface shall be primed and sealed with a full-bodied latex primer before applying a final decorative material. This will equalize the suction between the joint compounds and the paper surface. For best painting results, all surfaces, including joint compound, should be clean, dust-free and not glossy. If glossy paints are used, a thin skim coat of compound over the entire surface, Level 5 finish, is recommended to reduce highlighting or joint photographing. This method is also recommended for areas of critical sidelighting of natural or artificial light sources. A sealer application under wallpaper or other wall coverings is also recommended so the board surface will not be damaged if the covering is subsequently removed during redecorating. Joint treatment must be thoroughly dry before proceeding with primer-sealer application and final decoration.
For complete installation instructions, please see Install Like the Pros, Gypsum Board Installation Guide.
Please see the attached document for complete warranty details.
Committed to sustainability and total transparency, CertainTeed Gypsum is the first gypsum manufacturer to issue:
- EPDs: Comprehensive 3rd party life cycle assessments certified by UL Environment
- Type X and Easi-lite
- HPDs: Open standard, in which manufacturers report what makes up our products
- All of board products have HPDs
Our 14 gypsum board manufacturing facilities, located throughout North America, operate with a responsible and environmentally conscious ethic that includes
- Preservation of natural resources
- Face & back paper consists of 100% recycled paper
- In-plant scrap is recycled back into the manufacturing process
- Waste management
- Where sources are available, synthetic or by-product gypsum from the desulphurization of flue gases at coal-fired power plants is used.
- 3 of our manufacturing plants (Carrollton, Kentucky; Moundsville, West Virginia and Toronto, Ontario) use 100% synthetic gypsum and the total recycled content for these synthetic gypsum plants is 96%.
Although LEED rating systems do not currently address emissions for all building materials and their effects on indoor air quality, finished CertainTeed gypsum board products have no reportable VOCs and will not affect indoor air quality.