All CertainTeed siding products are NAHB (National Association of Home Builders) Green Approved, and can contribute to LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) credits.
CertainTeed actively pursues strategies to reduce our environmental impact, while increasing the sustainability of our operations and products. We fulfill this commitment through our manufacturing methods, and through the design of siding products with environmentally friendly performance attributes.
- Resource Conservation
- Our manufacturing facility recycles the water that is used in our plants, saving billions of gallons each year
- Our polymer, vinyl and cellular PVC products are 100% recyclable.
- CertainTeed takes back post-consumer siding from builders and manufactured housing plants and uses the recycled material in the manufacturing process, significantly decreasing jobsite waste.
- The CertainTeed Certavin resin plant is the only PVC manufacturing facility to use the bulk polymerization process. This patented process requires significantly less energy and water than the processes used by other PVC manufacturers
- Almost 100% of the raw material inputs are used in the manufacturing process of our polymer, vinyl and cellular PVC product lines, practically eliminating landfill from the manufacture of these products.
- Life Cycel Assessment (LCA)
- An LCA identifies the environmental impacts of a products, process or activity over its life span. CertainTeed submitted its products to BEES for third party verification, becoming the first siding manufacturer to conducts LCAs on each of its siding products. The results show that CertainTeed vinyl and polymer siding have a lowered environmental impact that the majority of cladding options.
- Energy Conservation
- The manufacturing process used by vinyl and polymer producers is less energy and resource intensive than that used by other cladding choices, such as brick and stucco.
- Through the continued sustainable initiatives by our parent company, Saint-Gobain, we continue to earn the Energy Star Partner of the Year Award.
- Emissions Reduction
- The majority of raw materials used to manufacture CertainTeed vinyl and polymer products are shipped by rail, decreasing emissions and the need for over-the-road transportation.
- Cost of Ownership
- CertainTeed polymer shakes, insulated siding, vinyl siding, and cellular PVC trim eliminate the need for paint and caulk, decreasing maintenance and a project’s environmental impact.
- Guaranteed Quality and Compliance
- Many of CertainTeed’s siding products contribute to efforts to conserve resources and reduce environmental impact by buying from local suppliers and by using locally available indigenous materials. CertainTeed siding are shipped from one of our manufacturing facilities, ensuring that building professionals are rarely more than 500 miles from a factory
- CertainTeed’s Siding facilities are ISO 14001-certified. These facilities maintain environmental management systems that meet standards set by the International Standards Organization (ISO). CertainTeed takes price in establishing these programs to reduce our environmental impact and improve our environmental performance at our manufacturing facilities.