Wallboard joints are normally finished using three coats of compound;
the first to embed the tape; the second to cover the tape, and the third to
finish the joint. CertainTeed Sandable Setting-Type Compound can be used
for the first and second coats. Although the third coat is typically done
with a ready-mix product, the Sandable Setting-Type Compounds can
be used as well.
For joint reinforcement the use of Fibreglass mesh tape is recommended.
Apply the first coat to the joint in a band about 64 mm (2-1/2") wide.
Center CertainTeed mesh tape over joint and embed with a broad knife.
Allow to set, as per product specifications on the package.
• These compounds generate heat as they harden. Keep the
compound away from exposed skin during the hardening process
to prevent burns.
• Do not apply or re-mix after it has started to set.
• Compound must be applied to a clean, dry surface.
• Use is limited for above grade applications.
• When mixing and/or dry sanding, wear safety glasses and dust mask
approved by NIOSH/MSHA.
• Keep out of reach of children.
Allow to dry for 24 hours before sanding. Use 120 grit sand-paper and a hand
or pole sander. Do not sand the surface of the wallboard paper.
For complete installation details, please see Installation Guide or Install Like the Pros.