Lite Sand Setting Compounds are lightweight, sandable, chemically setting powders used to pre-fill joints, embed joint tape and conceal joints, fasteners and trim accessories on gypsum wallboard. They can also be used for interior patching and repair. They are ideal for heavy fills because they are specially formulated to harden with very little shrinkage in a prescribed time frame. Setting times are available from 20 minutes to 90 minutes.
- Lite Sand 20 – 309076 Setting time 15 - 25 minutes
- Lite Sand 45 – 309076 Setting time 40 - 55 minutes
- Lite Sand 90 – 309079 Setting time 80 - 110 minutes
For complete product description please see the Product Data Sheet.
- Color: Off white Packaging: 11 kg (24.25 lb) Bags
- Coverage: Approximate coverage is 25 kg (55 lbs) of powder per 93 m2 (1000 ft2) of drywall panel.
- Storage: Rotate stock to avoid aging problems. Use within 60 days of delivery. Store in a dry place.
- Shelf Life: 12 months from production code date when stored properly.
For complete Technical Information, please see the Product Data and Submittal Sheet.
- Wallboard joints are normally finished using three coats of compound; the first to embed the tape; the second to cover the tape, and the third to finish the joint. CertainTeed Sandable Setting-Type Compound can be used for the first and second coats. Although the third coat is typically done with a ready-mix product, the Sandable Setting-Type Compounds can be used as well. For joint reinforcement the use of Fibreglass mesh tape is recommended. Apply the first coat to the joint in a band about 64 mm (2-1/2") wide. Center CertainTeed mesh tape over joint and embed with a broad knife. Allow to set, as per product specifications on the package.
- These compounds generate heat as they harden. Keep the compound away from exposed skin during the hardening process to prevent burns. Do not apply or re-mix after it has started to set. Compound must be applied to a clean, dry surface. Use is limited for above grade applications. When mixing and/or dry sanding, wear safety glasses and dust mask approved by NIOSH/MSHA. Keep out of reach of children.
- Allow to dry before sanding. Use 120 grit sand-paper and a hand or pole sander. Do not sand the surface of the wallboard paper.
For complete installation details, please see the Installation Guide or Install Like the Pros.
Since methods and condition of application such as temperature, humidity and over thinning are beyond our control, CertainTeed Gypsum, Inc. (CertainTeed) will not be responsible for the failure of this product when not used according to directions and specifications and accepted standards of procedure inherent in drywall application; or when reasonable allowance is not made by the user for adverse weather and job conditions. However, if this product proves to be defective, maximum liability shall be limited to replacement of the material only or refund of the purchase price. This shall be the full limit whatsoever of CertainTeed’s liability. All claims shall be submitted in writing to CertainTeed within thirty days from the date of discovery. State or federal laws may provide rights in addition to this warranty that cannot be modified or excluded.
CertainTeed Gypsum is committed to sustainability. Our manufacturing facilities, located throughout North America, provide regional material coverage and operate with a responsible and environmentally conscious ethic that includes reclamation, preservation of natural resources, recycling and waste management.We are continually looking for ways to reduce our impact on the environment while meeting customer demand for sustainable products that deliver comfort, protection and performance.
For more information, please see our Sustainability Brochure.