Heavy Taping is designed specifically for embedding drywall tape and trims. This product is ideal for embedding tape to drywall and has superior adhesion to various surfaces. Heavy Taping compound is not recommended for the second and third coats over embedded tape or as a texturing material.
- Material: Vinyl-type mixture
- Color: Off white and beige
- Packaging: 17 L (4.5 US Gal.) Box
- Coverage: 35 L (9.3 US Gal.) to 45 L (11.9 US Gal.) of joint compound per 93 m2 (1000 ft2) of wallboard depending upon the thickness of joint compound applied.
- Shelf Life: 9 months when stored properly.
- Storage: Protect joint compounds from freezing and from extreme heat. Joint compound should be stored at temperatures above 13°C (55°F) for at least 48 hours prior to application. Do not stack material (cartons or pails) more than 2 pallets high. Rotate stock. Do not store in direct sunlight.
- Apply a thin layer of compound to the tapered edge. Press joint tape firmly into the compound, while centering it over the seam and embed with a broad knife. Sufficient joint compound must remain under the tape to ensure a proper bond. Allow to dry. Apply a second coat of joint compound over the embedding coat and feather out beyond the first coat. Allow the second coat to dry thoroughly prior to application of the finish coat. Spread the finish coat evenly over the second coat and feather to a smooth uniform finish. After each coat had dried, sand or sponge smooth prior to the application of the ensuing coat.
Finishing beads and trims:
- Apply first coat of compound to all the bead and trim and properly feather out onto the panel. Wet sand, as necessary. Allow the compound to dry thoroughly prior to the application of the second coat. Apply the second coat and feather at least 2" beyond first coat, allow to dry completely and wet sand, if necessary. Apply the finish coat and extend the compound slightly beyond the second coat. When dry, sand as necessary to provide a smooth surface for decoration.
- Use 150 grit sand paper or finer. Remove high spots using as few strokes as necessary. Lightly sand imperfections while being careful to avoid scuffing the paper. When dry sanding, wear a NIOSH approved dust mask and eye protection.
For complete installation details, please see the Installation Guide or Install Like the Pros.
Since methods and condition of application such as temperature, humidity and over thinning are beyond our control, CertainTeed Gypsum, Inc. (CertainTeed) will not be responsible for the failure of this product when not used according to directions and specifications and accepted standards of procedure inherent in drywall application; or when reasonable allowance is not made by the user for adverse weather and job conditions. However, if this product proves to be defective, maximum liability shall be limited to replacement of the material only or refund of the purchase price. This shall be the full limit whatsoever of CertainTeed's liability. All claims shall be submitted in writing to CertainTeed within thirty days from the date of discovery. State/Provincial or Federal laws may provide rights in addition to this warranty that cannot be modified or excluded.
CertainTeed Gypsum is committed to sustainability. Our manufacturing facilities, located throughout North America, provide regional material coverage and operate with a responsible and environmentally conscious ethic that includes reclamation, preservation of natural resources, recycling and waste management. We are continually looking for ways to reduce our impact on the environment while meeting customer demand for sustainable products that deliver comfort, protection and performance.
For more information, please see our Sustainability Brochure.