Dust Away ™ Renovation Mud ™ Joint Compound features a reduced airborne dust formula. When sanded, dust clumps and falls directly to the floor. General purpose formula for filling, repairing and finishing drywall joints, trims and fasteners. Ideal for renovation and repair projects where cleanliness is required. Reduces airborne dust by 70% when compared to sanding standard compound.
- Dust Away ™ Renovation Mud ™ Joint Compound - 313382
For detailed product description please see the Product Data and Submittal Sheet.
- Material: Vinyl-type mixture
- Colour: Off white
- Packaging: 3.5 US Gal. (13.3 L) Box
- Coverage: 9.3 US Gal. (35 L) to 11.9 US Gal. (45 L) of joint compound per 1000 ft2 of wallboard, depending upon the thickness of joint compound applied.
- Storage: Rotate stock to avoid aging problems. Use within 60 days of delivery.
- Shelf Life: 12 months from production code date, when stored properly.
For complete Technical Information, please see the Product Data and Submittal Sheet.
- Apply a thin layer of compound to the tapered edge. Press joint tape firmly into the compound, while centering it over the seam and embed with a broad knife. Sufficient joint compound must remain under the tape to ensure a proper bond. Allow to dry. Apply a second coat of joint compound over the embedding coat and feather out beyond the first coat. Allow the second coat to dry thoroughly prior to application of the finish coat. Spread the finish coat evenly over the second coat and feather to a smooth uniform finish. After each coat had dried, sand or sponge smooth prior to the application of the ensuing coat.
Finishing Beads & Trim:
- Apply first coat of compound to all the bead and trim and properly feather out onto the panel. Wet sand, as necessary. Allow the compound to dry thoroughly prior to the application of the second coat. Apply the second coat and feather at least 2" beyond first coat, allow to dry completely and wet sand, if necessary. Apply the finish coat and extend the compound slightly beyond the second coat. When dry, sand as necessary to provide a smooth surface for decoration.
- Sand with a wet sponge, if necessary, to eliminate dust and scuffing of the wallboard paper. Remove high spots using as few strokes as necessary. Clean the sponge frequently during use. If dry sanding is necessary, use 150 grit sand paper or finer. Lightly sand imperfections while being careful to avoid scuffing the paper. When dry sanding, wear a NIOSH approved dust mask and eye protection.
- Ensure that all surfaces to be decorated are thoroughly dry and dust free. Either a good quality drywall primer or an undiluted latex wall paint with a high solids content should be applied prior to painting, texturing or wallpapering. Adhere to all manufacturers' specific directions for painting and decorating materials.
For complete installation instructions, please see the Product Data and Submittal Sheet, Installation Guide or Install Like the Pros.
Since methods and condition of application such as temperature, humidity and over thinning are beyond our control, CertainTeed Gypsum, Inc. (CertainTeed) will not be responsible for the failure of this product when not used according to directions and specifications and accepted standards of procedure inherent in drywall application; or when reasonable allowance is not made by the user for adverse weather and job conditions. However, if this product proves to be defective, maximum liability shall be limited to replacement of the material only or refund of the purchase price. This shall be the full limit whatsoever of CertainTeed's liability. All claims shall be submitted in writing to CertainTeed within thirty days from the date of discovery. State/Provincial or Federal laws may provide rights in addition to this warranty that cannot be modified or excluded.
CertainTeed Gypsum is committed to sustainability. Our manufacturing facilities, located throughout North America, provide regional material coverage and operate with a responsible and environmentally conscious ethic that includes reclamation, preservation of natural resources, recycling and waste management. We are continually looking for ways to reduce our impact on the environment while meeting customer demand for sustainable products that deliver comfort, protection and performance. For more information, please see our Sustainability Brochure.