Unmatched Mold Prevention
FortiCel™ is a protective coating solution that helps to prevent the growth of mold on the structural framing surfaces of new homes. Available exclusively through CertainTeed, FortiCel is professionally applied to the interior wall cavity during construction, before the insulation is installed.
Structures today are built stronger and tighter than ever before to maximize performance and energy efficiency. As a result, it is important to manage moisture, vapor and air flow to maintain the integrity of the structure. Without a smart vapor retarder to help diffuse moisture in the wall cavity, excess moisture can develop, leading to mold growth and a host of related problems like mold and mildew within the wall cavity. Building a home with the right materials can help reduce the potential for these types of moisture-related problems while reducing risk and liability — reducing the risk of high cost mold remediation and the replacement of structural framing. FortiCel is an easy way to protect the integrity of your building.
- Protects from potential mold and mildew claims
- Prevents mold growth on coating surface
- 25-year fully transferable warranty
- Does not impede construction time since it is applied immediately after dry-in
- Cannot be washed or rubbed off during construction
- Exceeds all ASTM testing requirements
- Meets the US Green Building Council LEED® requirements
FortiCel Mold Prevention Spray Video
Get Inspired and Learn More
1. Surface Treatments shall be inorganic silica cross-link cured film structures.
- V.O.C. must be "0".
2. FortiCel has passed ASTM 5590 to prevent spore germination.
3. FortiCel has independent laboratory evidence of prevention of germination as tested by MouldWorks Laboratory, Cedar, MI according to MouldWorks Test Panel for testing of inherent mold resistance of coatings and their ability to prevent spore germination. See "Comparison of MouldWorks vs ASTM 5590".
4. Laboratory testing includes evidence of independent evaluation of coating capability to prevent germination of each of the species and results show in table at right.
5. FortiCel and FortiCel Crawlspace have passed ASTM D-3273-94 testing, with a zero mold growth (10) rating.
6. FortiCel offers a 25-year warranty, which includes the full cost of remediation in the event of mold occurrence of the surface. Warranty must be serialized and traced to the property address of application and must be enforceable without regard to ownership.
For complete installation instructions please refer to the installation guidelines.
A. Strictly follow recommendations and instructions regarding product material and mixing, so as to provide the best quality work.
B. Building roof shall be intact and dried in prior to application.
C. All materials shall be applied under adequate illumination, evenly distributed and properly applied and shall have a visible blue tint evident after application. The crawl space product has a white tint to it.
D. All materials shall be applied in an even and full continuous coating, free from skips or pinholes. Application rate to be 1 Mil wet thickness.
E. FortiCel ™ is best applied by conventional spray equipment. Small areas or perimeter edges can be coated using a natural hair bristle trim brush. Apply as follows:
- Configure your spray application so that a working wet line is maintained. Strive to spray to natural breaks. Always keep the tip pointed perpendicular to the surface.
- Beginning in a corner or other natural break, apply FortiCel™ material using vertical sweeps of the gun. Work in areas of arms length, which are most comfortable for the individual. Keep the gun tip parallel to the surface being sprayed.
- Use good journeyman spray techniques in order to achieve a thin, uniform coating deposit free from skips and holidays.
F. The surface being treated will ultimately dictate the square foot per gallon yield of FortiCel™. As a general rule, the following guidelines can be used:
- Wood surface areas – 2,000 to 2,500 sq. ft./gal. @ 1 Mil wet
- Masonry surface areas – 600 to 1,000 sq. ft./gal. @ 1 Mil wet
- Steel surface areas – 2,000 to 2,500 sq. ft./gal. @ 1 Mil wet
G. Continue application until the entire room has been protective treated.
HANDLING AND STORAGE
Handling: Deliver materials in sealed containers with manufacturer's labels intact.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
For detailed safety and health information refer to the Material Safety Data Sheet for this product.
Refer to the FortiCel 25-year warranty.